Wednesday 5 October 2011

oooo - I love a good coincidence!

As anyone who's known me more than 10 minutes knows, my life is a series of mini, and major coincidences. How I met my husband is a good one, but far too long to go into in detail, though I do love the fact that the tiny pub in the middle of nowhere where we met was the scene of my sister and brother-in-law's first meeting too, a few years later.

Meanwhile, yesterday I had a great one, that also meant I spent much for the rest of the say saying 'ain't modern technology great?'. While listening to Radcliffe and Maconie on Radio 6, there was a piece in the pop news about an artist in residence in Manchester's Islington Mills doing a music night with his turntable rigged up in reverse so that all the tunes where played backwards. Then they ran an interview with him, and it turned out to be an illustrator who I had worked with back in my days as an art director in children's publishing. He is a lovely man, who I spent far too many evenings getting a bit merry with, and also dancing wildly (though in forward motion on the whole) resulting in lots of bruises. Since moving to Bristol nearly 10 years ago we had rather lost touch and he had moved to the States.

So there I was listing to the wonderful David Wojtowycz and I thought I'd email him on the
spot. Well why not? Less than half an hour later I had one back from him, all the way from Chicago! Dontcha love it?! Modern technology huh?


Here are some of the books we worked on together, and that my kids adored. I even wrote one of them! Ain't life grand?



No comments: