Friday 23 September 2011

ah.... Bristol!

On the way to work this morning, bright and early, this is what I saw.....


I do love living here, and even after nearly 10 years, I still enjoy the site of the balloons you suddenly see drifting over the skyline. The photo makes it look like it was sometime around dawn, but I really don't get up that early, well not for the amount I earn at least!

Now, a little nearer dawn I was lying in bed reading one of my favourite customer's blog, Ann Rippin. Her blog is always interesting, and this morning's words on patchwork have set me off again. Just the sight of the first photo took me back to working in a children's summer club, called Stop Gap in Barnes, London, where there were two huts, the messy hut and the clean hut. No one who knows me will be surprised to learn that I was generally assigned to the messy hut where we made batik, tie-die, painted, made giant junk models and so on. Every so often I would hear the dreaded words 'you're in the clean hut today Jemima', and I would sigh loudly, and sit all day making peg dolls, and embroidery and patchwork. These days that sounds pretty much like heaven to me (apart from the tidy aspect of the work of course).

So this evening I have taken out my 'stitch and bitch' bag, where lies two sets of 'charm squares' (pre-cut squares of lovely, mixed pattern fabrics) that I bought last year to make a patchwork. And, gawd-dammit, that's what I'm going to start doing right now. Well, once I've reacquainted myself with how to do patchwork of course. Here I come YouTube (and a glass of cold beer obviously).

On second thoughts I have just unearthed my 1970's crafts bible. Perhaps this is more me....

1 comment:

Christals Creations said...

I know a few Bristol balloon pilots! I even went for a flight with two of them when one was training.
I have a giant patchwork that is one day going to be a kingsize quilt. My husband is under the allusion it will be a special blanket for him!! :o)